Friday, December 21, 2007

Tongue Twisters

"Nathan, tell mommy the hard word you discovered yesterday!" I encouraged my son.

He responded eagerly. "Diff ceferticack."

"What?" asked Jen, confused.

"Sift derfissticate," he tried again. "Dist fersiffisate."

"He figured out it's hard to say 'Gift certificate,'" I translated diplomatically.

He grew weary of saying it after we had asked him to repeat it about ten times. So we turned to the two and a half year old. "Michael, can you say 'gift certificate?'"

Without batting an eye, he said, clear as a bell, "No." Open-and-shut case.

A minute later, Nathan disputed a slight exaggeration his mom had made. "You're my little littlerist!" she laughed.

I laughed, too. "What did you say?"

"Little littlelerist." 

"Huh?" asked Nate.

I clarified for him: "Mommy's trying to say literalist. Little liratilist." We both laughed. "Wow, that is hard to say!"

"I'm saying it!" Jen insisted. "Little littlerist! See?" After you say it a few times, that starts sounding right. If you don't believe me, try it.

No comments: