Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Toddlerese

Understanding each other is hard enough, even when we're face to face and can pick up facial expressions and body language, which psychologists say carry 60% of the communication.

When I'm driving, I'm deprived of that 60% because the 2-year-old sits right behind me. Not to mention that since I'm driving in L.A. 90% of my brain has to be devoted to the road . . .

Michael: Me wissen dum dah.

Me (thinking, Ooh, this should be easy. I already got the first two words!): You want to listen to something?

Michael: Uh-huh! Me wissen dum dah.

Me: You want to listen to . . . uh . . .

Michael: Me wissen dum dah!

Me: uh . . . do you want to listen to Finding Nemo?

Michael (amused at Daddy's typical silliness): No Nemo! Dum dah!

Me: Snow White?

Michael (with the tone of You idiot!): No, dum dah. Dum dah!

Michael (now irate): No! No! Dum dah! Dum dah!

Me (smart enough, at least, not to suggest Veggie Tales, which is "Dedgie" in Michael-speak, and deciding to switch strategies): Do you want to listen to a story?

Michael: No! Dum Dah!

Me: Do you want music?

Michael: Yeth! Dum dah!

Me (relieved that now it's just a process of elimination): Do you want Kirk Franklin?

Michael: No! Me wissen dum dah!

Me: Chris Tomlin?

Michael (in tears): No!

Me (the light dawning): Tim McGraw?

Michael: Yeth! Dum Dah! Dum Dah!

I've never been so ecstatic about putting the Tim McGraw cd in the player.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Glad you were able to figure out what he was saying. I couldn't and we almost didn't make it home that day...